Gather important information
Gathering sessions are to collect information from a variety of sources that are useful for understanding the inquiry question you have identified. There are two phases to Gathering; broad research across a range of sources and deep, sustained reading and reflection to gather understanding and find connections.
- Now that you have a clear focus you can easily determine the relevance of what you are reading and weed through a broad variety of sources to find information which is significant to your inquiry question.
- Cluster your ideas to determine key words and paths of research to conduct.
- Go Broad: read, watch, listen and observe to locate and evaluate the information which will lead to deeper thinking and learning.
- Document your findings and avenues of research through detailed note-taking.
- Go Deep: Select the most useful sources and concentrate on them, reading them closely.
- Process, synthesise and analyse information.
- Use a range of strategies to document the information you collect. Structure your gathering process into a procedure which keeps your information organised, clear and protected from potential loss.
- Consider the origin, purpose and context of the information you are gathering. Is it reliable? Is it a primary or secondary source?
- Remember also to record sources of information for referencing purposes. Use the SLASA Online Reference Generator.
- This is not simply an exercise in collecting facts. Gathering is also about constructing an understanding.
- Is the information I am reading relevant to my inquiry question? Should I select this to read deeply or move on?
- What other resources and mediums of source can I access to gather useful information?
- Is the information I am reading reliable? Is it a primary or secondary source?
- How can I backup my notes and the information I collect on a variety of storage mediums to prevent loss?
- What is the most effective way for me to keep track of my sources for referencing purposes?
- Do I have enough information to move forward to Create?
- What understanding can I gather from what I am reading?