Credibility, Content, Currency – Validating Websites
Below are two websites on the same topic. One of the sites is real and the other is completely made up (albeit rather convincingly!)
The Ova Prima Foundation http://www.ovaprima.org/
NZ Nutrition Foundation http://www.nutritionfoundation.org.nz/nutrition-facts/nutrition-a-z/Eggs
Pacific North West Tree Octopus http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/
Endangered Species: Vaquita http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/finder/vaquita/vaquita.html
To determine the validity of a website consider:
- Does the web address show that the source is reliable? .edu .gov .com .org .mil (military) and country of origin?
- Who is the author? Areas of expertise? Qualifications? www.easywhois.com
- Does the author provide an email address or other contact information?
- Is the information accurate? Check with other sources, what do other sites say about this site?
- Is the information fact or opinion? Is the information trying to influence me?
- Why was the information posted?
- Is there a bibliography?
- Are there quality links to other resources?
- Is the information up to date?
- Is a date given for the creation of this site?